Here we are wrapping up the last weeks of 2021, and it's time for the winter meal plan. In some ways winter meals are some of my favorites because of the cozy vibes and the hearty flavors. Winter meals are a good mix of quick weeknight favorites and meals that can simmer on the stove all afternoon long. I love seasonal meal planning because it gives me a few major categories to choose from when making each week's meal plan. There are some meals that are always in the rotation regardless of season, and these are generally the kids' favorites.
Check out the Winter Seasonal Meal Plan for 2022 for more ideas!
If you are new to meal planning, having a list of seasonal meals your family enjoys will help you get in the swing of weekly meal planning. Baby steps! Check out the categories below or make your own list and you'll see how much easier it makes weekly planning.
These dinners are often great for preparing ahead of time and baking off as needed. They work great for weeknights and there is always leftovers for lunch.
- Sheet Pan Peanut Chicken
- Spinach and Feta Phyllo Pie (coming soon to the blog!)
- Baked Sweet Potato Tacos (coming soon to the blog!)
- Baked Gnocchi (This one from Simply Delicious Food is delicious!)
- Enchilada Casserole
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Bowls with Chicken and Citrus-Herb Sauce
- Curried Broccoli, Chicken, and Cheddar Casserole
Stir frys and easy soups make up most of this category, but I also add in quick pasta dishes and tacos (always tacos!) that make easy and family-friendly meals.
- 4P + T Stir Fry (coming soon to the blog!)
- Cashew Nut Mango
- Pasta Pomodoro (coming soon to the blog!)
- Dragon-Style Tacos
- Broccoli Cheddar Potato Soup
- Green Chile and Chicken Soup (coming soon to the blog!)
I know what the weeknight rush does to the dinner plan. It is so tempting to swing through and pick up dinner, but you can have something delicious on the table in a snap with these options.
- Bean and Cheese Quesadillas
- Pasta con Ceci (Dinner: A Love Story)
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Yellow Thai-Style Curry
- Chicken Chili
- Vegan Chili Mac (coming soon to the blog!)
Slow Food Dinners
On cold weekend afternoons there's nothing better than the smell of something tasty simmering away on the stove! These meals take more time, but they are great for when you have some to spare.
- Cheese Fondue
- Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche
- Cincinnati Chili
- French Onion Soup
- Pork Cutlets with Cider Sauce
Salads, Spreads, and Lighter Fare
Just because it's winter doesn't mean every meal has to be hearty and rich. Sometimes a salad is a welcome shake-up to the routine.
- Roast Carrot and Chickpea Grain Bowls (coming soon to the blog!)
- Lentil and Halloumi Salad (coming soon to the blog!)
- Chopped Antipasto Salad (coming soon to the blog!)
- Barbecue Chicken Chopped Salad
- Cold Noodle Salad with Peanut Sauce
- Crunchy Roll Bowls (Pinch of Yum)
Pressure cooker and Slow Cooker Meals
These meals are great for when I know we will be pressed for time after weeknight activities. I can prep them in the afternoon and have them waiting for us when we walk in the door!
- Thai-Style Chuck Roast Tacos (coming soon to the blog!)
- Louisiana Red Beans and Rice
- Lemon Basil Beans
- Meatball Stroganoff
- Chicken in Mole Sauce
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
What are some of your favorite winter meals?